Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Smell the Lilacs




















Grandma & Baby Angi















Ryan and Surry friends

Whoever coined the phrase, "Stop to smell the roses" may never have smelled lilacs in their lifetime. If you had the choice between the two, wouldn't it be the latter? I don't know why, but for the past 3 weeks I've been noticing them for the first time. Dark purple, lavendar, magenta and gentle pink. And as if the blossom wasn't enough to draw you in, you can't help but walk by one and feel it gently pulling you in to smell their delicious smell. "Aren't these blossoms fragrant, Marilla? Drink them in!"

I think subconsciously I'm remembering back to Grandma Ruby's funeral; one of the musical numbers she selected was "My Heavenly Father Loves Me." Whenever I touch a velvet rose, or walk by a lilac tree, I'm glad that I live in this beautiful world...Heavenly Father created for me." I keep thinking about Grandma when I see the lilacs, but also, I think of Ryan. Ryan?

Have you ever read the book 'Ferdinand the Bull?' You know, the gentle giant of a bull who wants nothing more than to live a quiet life in his pasture, smelling all of the flowers? Well, if Ryan were any character from a childrens book, it would be Ferdinand. I think one of Ryans love languages is smell, if that is one. He loves to smell flowers....LOVES. In fact, we were on vacation in Seaside Oregon this last weekend and went on a surry ride through the little streets we were staying in. This surry was packed full of friends (most of them little people, 8 of them). At one point he pedaled by a house decked out with lilacs and rhodedendrons. He stopped the surry, made everyone bail out and cross the street so that they could take a wiff of the lilacs. And there they were again (the lilacs, I mean). I love that Ryan stops to smell the flowers...literally, and metaphorically speaking. He just takes time to notice the simple deliciousness of life.

Thanks, Ry...and Grams, for helping me notice.

Note to self: plant a lilac tree next spring, in honor of the two.

3 comments:

Amy W-G said...

Yay! Angi's a postin'! Love that pic of you and Gram.....
and I love the fresh smell of fragrant flowers too!

Mindy Gledhill said...

Glad you're posting again, Angi. Can't wait to see you next week!

Braden and Julie Reynolds said...

You are perhaps the only woman I'm aware of that could bring your husband flowers and he would be totally wooed. Can't you just picture what Brady would say to me if I brought him some lilacs to smell? "Well what in the sam hill am I supposed to...." I like that about Ryan too. I miss you guys. Felt so jealous that Brade got to see you guys.